Monday, February 22, 2016

Penner was a Racecar Driver

Ayyyyy

I think I just passed through one of the most high-energy weeks of my entire mission. Elder Massey came in and we just literally took off. So my update (based on a super weird song a friend once showed me, "Jerry Was a Racecar Driver") has kind of two meanings. One refers to the high velocity that this new transfer has brought, and the other refers to the fact that President Mathews allowed us to drive one of the cars that the mission usually keeps for couple missionaries!

The car is great, it really helps us to be faster, in the fact that we don't have to spend our time looking for taxis, and we also don't have to pay 2 dollars for every ride. I know that doesn't seem like much, but it adds up with all of the places that we have to go during the week. The car is to be used strictly for our secretary duties only, but all the same it's a really nice change.

But enough about boring office stuff, let's talk about the people! This week has been really sweet with Elder Massey. I feel like we totally clicked the very moment that we started teaching together. We both have this attitude of not wasting time, which is super important when you have this position. There are so many ways in which you can waste time, it's so easy. All the same, our only desire is to go out and teach our investigators. I'm not even sure if I missed teaching all day this much when I was stuck at home! Elder Massey and I are doing so great at going out and teaching with power, I don't think we've had a lesson in which we didn't feel the power of the Holy Ghost just working through us. It's super powerful.

As for my investigator of the week, I'd like to talk just a little bit about our investigators Paulo and Fatima. I don't know if I've mentioned them yet, but they're basically the closest thing you can get to an active member of the church without being baptized. They've investigated the church for over half a year at least, and they already know that this is the only true church, the true path that God has manifested unto them. The only reason that they're not baptized yet is that they're living together and not married. They're from Guinea Bissau (idk if that's how it is in English but that's how they say it here) and they need some kind of documentation for Fatima in order to get married. So they're really basically just members without the baptism part yet. They're so awesome, Elder Arguello told me he and Elder Farnsworth taught them a little about the book of Abraham because they couldn't think of anything else. They've already read the entirety of the Book of Mormon, D&C, and the Pearl of Great Price. I'm super excited for the papers to show up, they already did for Paulo so I don't think that it'll be too long.

Some other cool things that we did this past week: we marked a date with William! He told us that he felt ready to be baptized, so we marked him for the 12th of March. He didn't get to church yesterday, because he went to the hospital for breathing problems, so we kinda understand that. Also, the new mission Greenies came in, and we got to figure out our new responsibility of giving them a part of their first-day training. It was a little weird to think about, I never actually got this training so I learned a couple of new things that I should probably do better on... But all the same, it was cool! I got to tell my ankle breaking story to show them the importance of not doing dumb things on the mission.

I've been having the time of my life here, even though our days keep falling apart on a regular basis. I feel blessed to have Elder Massey as a companion now, the attitude and the confidence that he brought were a huge boost for me. I'm going to like serving with him for what looks to be a while.

Hoping all is well over in Americaland! I heard today that there's a trailer for the new Fantastic Beasts movie, and I almost cried. You are so lucky. It's a good thing I'm doing the most important work in the world here, or I'd be really disappointed. Missionary work trumps basically any movie I've watched.

Nyôs ka meshi com ninguém, j'oubi?
Elder Penner







No comments:

Post a Comment