Monday, January 18, 2016

Spun

Well, I think that I'm possibly safe to say that these past two weeks have been just about the craziest weeks that I've spent in the mission. For those that still may not know, I started as Housing Secretary a week and a half ago, along with a whole lot of other little responsabilities that I keep learning as I go along. Like the good band Grouplove said, I'm Spun.

I pay bills now. Like, bills. Like adults do. It's super weird.

One of the cool things about this position is that I get to drive this great big car called the Hiace, which is basically like those big old white vans that always seem that they have super sketchy people driving them. I didn't write an update last week because we did transfers on that day, and I was basically the taxi service for every missionary that was going to or from or through Praia. I got to know all of Praia really quickly, which is cool. This city seems just a little smaller now that I know the limits. The people that drive here are crazy though, so it took me a bit to get used to the high-speed game of Frogger that everyone plays here.

My new comp, Elder Arguello, is a freaking sick missionary! He used to live in San Francisco (represent, yo!) but now his family lives in Utah. He's a really chill Elder, and I'm already having a lot of fun working with him. We're totally going to tear up this area that we have. I also got to meet the new greenies, and they're all sweet people! One of them totally reminds me of Elder Gilbert.

So as a secretary and with the craziness of this last week, I haven't had a whole lot of time to get to know my new area Casa Lata very well, but what I have learned, I have absolutely loved. We have an investigator named Zezinho, who had been an investigator for a while and really liked the church, but hadn't yet recieved his confirmation that it's true. HOWEVER, last time we talked to him, he said that he had finally recieved it! We invited him to be baptized on the 30th, and he totally accepted! It's going to be such a neat experience to work with him. We also have a couple named David and Neusa, whose (her) sister is a recent convert from a few months ago. Apparently Neusa's dad is also a Bishop in Fogo, too. She just hasn't been super interested in learning about the church until recently, and now she's finally thinking about marriage! David has been very interested, and has helped her along the way. More on investigators next week, but they're awesome

In other great news, my investigator from Várzea, Adilson, got married and baptized last week! I couldn't make it to the marriage, but he asked me to baptize him just to make sure that I was definitely coming to the baptisms, haha. It was such a great experience, and he teared up when he gave his testimony and everything. I'm going to really miss Várzea.

Well, that's all I have time for right now, and just as a heads up, I may not always have time to write such updates as this one. Especially because this week we start training to take on the responsibilities of the financial secretaries as well! Elder and Sister Muhlestein, who are the financial secretaries right now, are going home in a couple of weeks, and there's not another casal to take their place for at least another month! So Elder Arguello and I now get to take on the responsabilities of 4 secretaries. It'll be an adventure, but should be fun!

Wishing a good week to all my adoring fans out there!
Abraço,
Elder Penner







No comments:

Post a Comment